Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Sensing a theme, here ...

I really like that we are reflecting on just one Psalm (Psalm 96) this whole week.  Having this one Psalm to reflect on daily, well, it helps me to focus, I guess.  It helps me to have something to return to each evening, and think about, pray over ... that is similar and familiar.  I also have liked the questions at the end of each devotion that further and focus my scattered thoughts, developing and shaping their trajectory.  Hmm, I sense a theme here.  Call me a little unfocused this Advent, but it seems for me anyway, that my Advent started even before our calendared Advent season was set to begin.  And I suppose that might be a common theme among many of us ... in our work to prepare for the holidays, we not only extend the holidays themselves, in some ways, we actually extend the frenzy that we are working to avoid ... oh my.  So, I am very appreciative to have these daily devotionals this Advent, and to be able to share them with you, the Los Altos UMC family in this online form.

In Sunday's reading, I was thrown entirely by this one line, "They are the same, and yet not the same.  This year we may not have some of our loved ones with us." (p. 14)  I was thrown because I had been thinking until that simple line, "Well, nothing's really changed for me.  Things are pretty much like they've always been."   But, I literally stopped reading because I was shocked to recall that last year, my mom was still alive with us, and that this will be my first Christmas without my mom.  Yes, things will not be the same for me.  I miss my mom terribly, and this time of year was a favorite time for her, especially in all of her preparations for her grandkids.  She was a thoughtful gift-giver extraordinaire.  Packages would be arriving throughout the season at our home, filled with so many well-thought-out gifts for every family member, and friends too.  My mom would listen all year long for little things that would make her family and friends happy, work to find them, and then wrap and send them during Advent.  Every gift had a meaning and purpose.  Every gift had a thought behind it.  Every gift was envisioned and given with love.

Yes, this Christmas season will be different in a significant way for my family and I with the loss of our Mom/Grace.  But, this realization has helped me to ponder over so many other ways that this Advent season will be different, and therefore, utterly unique.  I will never be in this exact space again, preparing for the birth of Christ.  My daughter, Lucie, will never be this "4 years" again with her love of all things dolls, princesses, and dance.  Mattias will never be his 18-months fascinated-with-the-world self, utterly in wonder of all things light, sparkly, and laughing with such glee.  My experience of their wonder, my sorrow, and our collective striving for the heart of Jesus will simply never be the same, and I believe that because of this unique space that we find ourselves in, we are in a prime (and primed) space to listen and walk together the path to Christ's birth.  We will never be in this exact space again and I wonder what insight that affords us this season.  So, now your turn.   Let's ponder now, together, those Day 1 questions:

* What has changed for you or your family in the last year?  How or when have God's love and power been made new for you as you've experienced these changes?

* Who in your family, neighborhood, or worshipping community needs to hear God's song of saving grace this Advent?  When and where will you sing it?

~ Please share by reflecting on these questions through commenting below.  I check the blog regularly and I am interested in your thoughts and reflections.

2 comments:

  1. The only thing that I think we can count on is change and when I wrote our family Christmas letter this week and enumerated the many changes I recalled that through every single difficult minute the positive energy that surrounded us was amazing. This energy in the form of a friend who called to see how things were going, or a letter or card from a loved one, a pat on the back and a word of encouragement, the warmth of hug--God was there each and every time--I could feel his Presence in these moments. As for singing the song of God's saving grace this advent I try to do this each day when I greet people and as I go about my daily activities at work and in the community--but someone in special need is my brother and I try to call him each week with a message of encouragement and hope that he will hear the song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear that about change, Linda. It's somehow calming to me in many ways that change is a constant ... and there is a certain richness in that truth, I guess, as difficult as it may be to deal with in our daily lives. I will pray that your brother hears the song, too. I really like the reflection about singing on Day 5, and I thought of your brother when I read that one.

      Delete