Saturday, December 15, 2012

Our Light in the Darkness



By the tender mercy of our God,
the dawn from on high will break upon us,
to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death,
to guide our feet into the way of peace.
~ Luke 1: 78-79.


Of all this week's devotions, I am called to reflect on Day 10, Tuesday's (p. 32-33). Maybe it's because I resonate so deeply with the imagery of the light of Christ, as I've mentioned in a previous post; maybe it's because God's light of love seems to have dimmed significantly in recent days. 

At first, I found myself a little surprised at this line in the devotion: "Our Christian hope is grounded in the reality of the cross." Whoa! Here we are in the middle of Advent, already thinking about Easter! But, after my initial surprise, I began to think, "Well, we wouldn't be celebrating Advent if we hadn't gone through Easter." That is, we await the magnificent and humbling birth of Christ, fully knowing that Good Friday and Easter are on their way. There is no doubt that as disciples of Christ, we celebrate the coming of the light of Christ, in part at least, because we live in such enveloping darkness -- some moments far darker than others.

So, this evening, as this second week of Advent draws to a close, I am prayerfully considering Tuesday's questions to ponder with you:


* Where do you see the light of God's kingdom shining in the world?

I see the light of God's kingdom anytime someone steps out of their individual comfort zone and shares, contributes, engages, and joins in communal action. Anytime someone chooses relationship; reaches out whether in need or in response. When someone steps up to serve another part of God's creation (whether offering time, money, prayer, compassion or?) When someone chooses to spend an extra 15 minutes of their day - just listening to someone. When a young person forgoes their concern about not "fitting in," and sits next to someone they don't know. When a preschooler shares their lunch - especially the cookie. When someone embraces another. When someone invites another to worship our loving God. When someone opens their mind and heart to a differing opinion, or perspective. When forgiveness or grace is offered. I see it all the time, all around me, in countless ways, acts, moments. Sometimes the light is fleeting, sometimes it is dimmed, but it is always there. To me this light of the kingdom is the hope that carries me forth.


* When have you noticed God guiding your feet into the way of peace?

I recall this devotion's line, "Peace is a journey, not a destination. The way of peace is the path we travel in this life." (p.33) While I really like this line, I do feel like this is a bit of a desired state, and not always true of our world - even "our" world as disciples of Christ. Personally, I feel God guiding my feet into the way of peace whenever I work to listen and learn from people with whom I disagree. I recall a time during my seminary internship when I met a parishioner who held very different theological understandings than I; understood scripture very differently than I; had a much different religious upbringing and background than I. In fact, there was very little we shared about most things. This parishioner decided to attend the Bible study that I was leading, arrived the first night and proceeded to challenge almost everything we discussed. I remember feeling somewhat overwhelmed as the leader of the study, but more than that, I remember feeling a certain peace about the night. I remember feeling a peace about my process and procedure as the study's leader. I remember relaxing and knowing in my heart that God would guide my thoughts and words that evening; that it wasn't up to me to have all the answers, but up to me to be myself, to listen openly and encourage that practice among all of us gathered. Quite surprisingly, the study went well and everyone returned the following week, and continued to engage throughout our two months together. I learned a lot from the entire process, especially from this particular parishioner, and I feel blessed that this parishioner (and others) felt safe enough to share differing opinions and experiences with our group. I feel that God's peace guided me to listen and to be open to learn in this setting, and that experience continues to inform me as I work to humble myself when listening to others; there is always something to learn.


How about you? Please post a comment or response!


No comments:

Post a Comment